Friday, April 5, 2013

Language barriers


Heyo,

After some time in Vietnam, I’ve begun a reevaluation of a lot of different things. Changing perspective on family culture, on timeliness, on a lot of different things. But one of the most interesting for me is the term “language barrier.” As in, I have now decided that is a stupid term.

I can see how the phrase came about. Try and talk with someone who doesn’t speak your language, and it really does feel like there is a barrier. An invisible forcefield, an impenetrable fence that totally obstructs any and all communication. In that case it makes total sense.

But the thing about barriers is that they are very tangible, solid, fixed objects. Getting over or through a barrier is difficult, but once you are on the other side you are in the clear. The barrier is just something you overcome, and then it’s over, it’s behind you.

Learning a language is not like that. As you learn more and more, you do begin to break down the barrier. But the more you learn, the more you realize how much you can’t do.

For instance, now I can order food, and ask for directions, and talk about where I’m from. No language barrier at all! But as soon as I get into a more complicated conversation, the language barrier shoots back up. Someone speaking complicated, fast Vietnamese might as well be speaking Swahili for all my Vietnamese study helps me at that point. 

I can ask what someone’s job is, but I can’t ask whether they like it or not. I can ask about their family, but I can’t ask if they’re proud of their son. I can ask how they are doing, but I can’t understand any response beyond “fine.”

It’s the same thing with the people who “speak English” at my college. There are several different layers of people who all “speak English” in Ben Tre.

1. Perfect. I can speak English with these people at my normal speed. They occasionally have trouble with American idioms or slang, but otherwise I speak with them perfectly normally.

2. Conversational. Any of the basic conversation topics—food, weather, family, jobs, etc. is easily done 
at normal speed. More complicated or intricate topics require a slower pace and more simple vocabulary.

3. Intermediate. They can hold a conversation about basic topics at a slower than average speed. Grammar mistakes start to become more evident.

4. Basic. They can speak understandably about basic topics at a very slow speed. Grammar mistakes are frequent, but comprehension is still possible.

5. Beginner. They only know a few words or phrases in English, and pronunciation/grammar is pretty bad. Ability to respond to unexpected questions is basically zero.

For all of these speakers, there is a level of question they feel totally comfortable answering. What food do you like, or where are you from, or what’s your name? They can answer all of these questions perfectly and easily. No barrier whatsoever! But as soon as you ask a more difficult question, comprehension drops precipitously, sometimes to zero. It's as if the barrier shoots up out of nowhere as soon as you ask something a little too complicated. 

I like to think of the "language barrier" as more of a "language fog." At first the fog is so dense it’s almost choking you, making it completely impossible to see. As you learn more and more, the fog slowly starts to clear, and you can see more and more around you. Things that were foggy become sharp and distinct, while other more distant objects that were totally hidden become visible.

But your vision is never entirely clear. There are still things you can’t quite see, things that you can’t perceive. The fog is always there. You just have to try your best to clear it. 

And, of course, you admire your ability to actually see a few things through the fog. After all, you can't see much, but it beats the hell out of being blind.  

Peace out,
Jefferson

1 comment: