Sunday, August 19, 2012

Weekend adventures

Hey all,

Sorry the blog post didn't go up on Friday as planned. A big storm knocked out the internet for a couple of days so I wasn't able to get this up as scheduled. Will be holding to MWF going forward.

The last few days have been hectic because not only was I going to see my family, I also got to meet up with the people I have been in contact with at my host institution. Also I've been getting sick with something. bleh. Anyways, on Thursday I went to see Mr. Luan and Mr. Van Nguyen, both people from Ben Tre College who I have been emailing.

It was great seeing them and meeting a whole bunch of other people from Ben Tre. As a parting gift they gave me several bags of coconut based items, because Ben Tre is known for its coconuts. I was given coconuts, coconut candy and a coconut full of coconut wine. It was a very nice gesture, and I love coconuts so I'm excited to be going to Ben Tre!

Myself with Mr. Luan on the left and Mr. Van Nguyen on the right with several of my future colleagues!

On Friday we invited the hotel staff, who have been so wonderful and kind to us over our stay here, to go out to karaoke with us. They enthusiastically agreed, then asked if we would be interested in having a full dinner at the hotel before going to karaoke. We of course accepted.

Amazing amounts of delicious food

Claire chatting with Tom and Silvia (with their backs to the camera), a British backpacking couple who became our new best friends.

Good times all around

After a wonderful dinner and making new friends with so many people, we rolled to the karaoke bar. 


Lam serenades Amelia
Amanda, Trevor and Kate breaking it down
Two of our hotel staff singing a beautiful duet

It was a fantastic night and I had an amazing time. Truly a five-star evening, presented by the wonderful Rising Dragon staff. 

The next day we went to the Hanoi Opera House to hear a Rachmaninov concert. I have seen the Opera House before, but I have never seen an actual concert there. The Vietnam National Symphony Orchestra would be performing Piano Concerto No. 2 C minor Op. 18 and Symphonic Dance Op. 45, with pianist Guiglia Katsavara and conductor Le Phi Phi. My exposure to classical music has mostly centered around German composers (Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms) so I was very interested in hearing Russian classical music for the first time.



The Opera House at night

From the balcony of the Opera House

Beautiful ladies

Gentlemen looking out into the night

Gentlemen striking a pose

Trevor, I'm just going to go ahead and declare us cutest couple, okay?

The Opera House itself is relatively small and intimate. The grand staircase is white marble with red and gold carpeting, but the rest of the Opera House is actually rather understated, compared to other examples of French architecture. The Hanoi Opera House conveys simple elegance and quiet taste.

The stage at the beginning
The performance

Afterwards

I quite enjoyed the concert. I am not a subtle or sophisticated critic of classical music, so the nuances of Rachmaninov that Tyler was picking up were completely lost on me. I did play violin for eight years, including in several school ensembles, so I definitely appreciated the skill and professionalism of the musicians. The individual skill-set of each violinist is impressive enough, and the synchronization of professional orchestras approaches truly ridiculous heights.

I enjoyed the sweeping violins, the cool professionalism of the cellos and bass and the constant underlying poetry provided by the piano. It was the sort of music that simply washes over you, the aural equivalent of smelling a bouquet of fresh flowers. It was a wonderful evening.

At the end of the concert, the conductor takes a bow and generally receives a bouquet of flowers. Generally, the conductor then acknowledges the first violinist, who takes a bow, then the whole orchestra takes a bow. This time, after acknowledging the first violinist, the conductor went to several other musicians and shook their hands, acknowledging their work. He went to the cellists, the violists and a few wind musicians. I have never seen a conductor offer that level of public acknowledgement to musicians who play less glamorous roles in the orchestra, and it was really wonderful. 

One more week before I go to Ben Tre! Oh god. Time flies when you're in Vietnam...

Thanks for reading!

-Jefferson








No comments:

Post a Comment