Monday, January 28, 2013

Reevaluating Study Abroad


Hello all,

So this post is more of a reflection/thinking post. I have updates on this past week in Ben Tre, those should go up on Sunday. 

This past week I did presentation on culture shock for Ben Tre College, and it got me thinking. I began reevaluating the value of study abroad in its traditional place for collegiate students.

First of all, let me just state that I think it is entirely necessary, finances allowing, for people to go abroad at some point. It is an incredibly enriching experience that will open your mind to new possibilities in areas and in ways you haven't ever considered. I still think going abroad is important, I just think it's time to reevaluate how we approach it. 

A little background: I have been an avid traveler since my very youngest years. Even when my family was not well off, we saved money by rarely buying toys or going to restaurants, and we always traveled. My first international trip was to Paris when I was seven. Since then I have traveled to a fair number of countries.

The list: Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, United Kingdom, France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Greece, Morocco, Egypt, Philippines, Cambodia, Vietnam

I have also had the good fortune to live abroad twice in college, once in Cairo on a language study grant for one month, and once in London for a study abroad program through UChicago for three months. I also, obviously, have this great opportunity in Vietnam.

Fall of junior year I went to London for three months. It was a fantastic experience. I met some great new friends who I am still very close to, I saw some fantastic sights in the U.K. and around Europe, got into a bunch of adventures, had some stories to tell when I came back home, and I took some really cool classes as well. It was an amazing three months, and I would definitely do it again if I had the chance.

The whole gang outside Stonehenge
Kitchen Clown Crew, Fall 2011. Photo: Monika Lagaard 


However, I didn’t really experience any culture shock. I didn’t learn anything that interesting or thought-provoking about British culture. Other than a new appreciation for pub life, and the substitution of samosas for tacos as my drunk food of choice, it’s hard to claim that experience really changed me in any meaningful way.

Contrast that with my experience in Cairo, where on a daily level my mind was blown, and I came back with my perspectives radically altered on so many levels. Or my experience here in Vietnam, where I am constantly facing new and thought provoking challenges, even five months into living here.

If someone asked me for an insight into the life and culture of an Egyptian or a Vietnamese person I feel I could make one or two interesting, original points. If someone asked me the same question about a British person, I’m not sure I’d really have anything to contribute.

Going to London was so much fun and I had a fantastic time, but if I had come looking for a deeper understanding of British culture, I think I would have been pretty disappointed. 

Now, a few things jump out as to why this was the case.

1. In the U.K., English is the first language. So no language barrier to break down, none of the experience learning a new language, a lot of cultural miscommunication cleared up. Contrast that with Cairo and Ben Tre, where daily communication was initially a huge struggle.

2. The U.K. is arguably the second most culturally-similar state to the U.S., behind only Canada. Many similar values and many similar perspectives, especially compared to a state like Egypt or Vietnam. This naturally leads to less culture shock, less self-examination. 

But for me, the main difference is something else entirely. In Cairo, I was there independently on a grant. In Ben Tre, I am also here on a grant. In London, I was there as part of a study abroad program.

In London, I lived with a group of Americans. I took classes with a bunch of Americans. My friends were Americans. I went drinking with Americans. I saw tourist sights with Americans. Even our professors were American.

If it wasn’t for the fact that I played ultimate frisbee in London, I would never have actually become friends with any British people. In our program, it was entirely possible to be a socially functional person and never actually meet someone from London.

From talking to friends in other programs, it seems that this is a trend in study abroad programs. Go abroad with Americans, spend your time abroad with Americans, meet other Americans from different programs, go back home.

This is really unfortunate, because by doing that you are missing out on the most crucial aspects of 
understanding a culture—interacting with the people there.

You can see the sights, wander around the cities, eat the food and experience the weather of a country, and you have barely scratched the surface if you haven’t talked with a local. Now for most tourists, this is simply not an option. You’re only there for a week or so, and real friendship takes time to develop. Study abroad programs give you that time in which to meet people and develop friendships, but all that is wasted if you spend all your time hanging out with American expats.

If you just want to use your study abroad time to party, hang out with your friends, and see some cool sights, then hey power to you! Going abroad and doing that is a ton of fun, and if that’s what you’re looking for just go and do it! Anyone who wants to spend three months partying it up in Dublin with their friends from school, I absolutely support you in your venture.

Traveling with your friends is awesome, and no one should deny you that pleasure.

But, and this is just a thought, if you want to do that, then why study abroad at all? Just get some of your friends together and book a flight. Stay at hostels, travel around, maybe even rent a really cheap flat for a few days, party. It would probably be cheaper than the absurdly expensive study abroad programs, and you wouldn’t have to deal with that one incredibly annoying kid who is on every study abroad program ever. You wouldn’t get course credit, I suppose, but look at how expensive the average study abroad program is and tell me that dropping several thousand dollars is worth three credits.

If you are looking to experience a different culture study abroad is probably not the way to go. Look for independent grants, or look for programs that place you in a more rural location. Apply for programs like *shameless plug* The Fulbright Program. Backpack, and use programs like WOOF to fund your travel. If you do want to study abroad, figure out from your program where you will be going, where you will be staying. Ask alumni of the program how many local friends they made. Try and find a program that pushes you out into the country. Strive for independence from the safety net of Americans abroad. 

And again, look, this isn’t for everyone. I’m not necessarily suggesting that you ditch your plan to travel with your buddies to Paris in favor of plunging solo into the wilderness of the Andes. I know firsthand that immersing yourself into a new culture is really difficult and not always fun. If diving into another culture isn’t really your cup of tea, then I won’t judge you in the slightest for doing a study abroad program. Just be honest about what it is you are looking for, and what you are going to get out of it.

So many study abroad programs bill themselves as “enrich yourself! Learn about a different culture! Come back a changed person!” In my experience, that is simply not true. Study abroad programs are nicely packaged long-term tourist experiences. Nothing more, nothing less.

If that’s what you want, then go right ahead. But if you want a deeper cultural experience, try and find your own path.

Ben Tre activities update on Wednesday! See you all then!

Peace,
Jefferson 

1 comment:

  1. As someone who has lived in the UK for 4 years now, I really appreciate what you said in this post. I felt (as a full time student) you had to make a choice early on- if you are going to stay with the Americans or join a club or society to try and diversify your friend group.

    Having chosen the latter, I now look at our study abroad students like they don't go to the same university I do. It disappoints me to see clusters of American students who will rarely socialize with anyone who doesn't attend their home university. But at the same time, I've made friends with some study abroad students from the US and Canada who decided to branch out. I guess what I'm saying is it's not just the program you're with, but whether you actively decide to take the chance on mingling.

    ReplyDelete